Mattie Mama is one year older!(sorry I'm so late writing the post!)
While we are very unsure of her exact age or birthday, it has been over a year since our cute little girl was brought into our lives.
November 8, 2008 was an amazing day. It was a day that we took a chance. A day that we decided to see what it would be like to make our small family of 3 into a larger family of 4. It was one of the best decisions that we've made and we couldn't be happier.
Now I know you may be saying she's simply a dog, but we love our puppies like they were our kiddos. Her story is a little different and we are so thankful to have her in our lives.
On November 3, 2008 I had received an email from my boss at work. As an avid dog lover, his wife had found a sweet little puppy wondering the streets of Dallas. Her words: She is a very sweet and loving, a little timid at first but then wants to be close and cuddled. Such a pretty girl!Immediately I forwarded the message to my husband and asked for his thoughts. I honestly never believed in my wildest dreams that he would want her. I think I was looking to him to be my voice of reason, but it didn't exactly happen that way. He said: Oh I want her.
This is not what I had expected. I don't think I ever really thought that we'd have a second dog. Not that it is a bad thing to have multiple, but it just never was something that crossed my mind. After speaking to Ray I just knew we had to see her. Toby could have a sister to play with. She simply needed food and lots of love as well as a new home. All the things I knew we could provide. So the very next day (I believe as this story takes place a year earlier)... I went to Matt to Petropolitan (a wonderful grooming and boarding facility for pets... I LOVE THIS PLACE)... and there she was. She was the sweetest little girl (a mama to be exact). She had just had puppies but sadly there were no signs of them where she had been found. She just was so loving and decided to take the next step. That Friday, November 8 we were set to take her home and puppy sit for the weekend. It would be in those few days that we would ultimately make our decision if she would be a new addition to our family.
From the very beginning she was a lover. She was the sweetest puppy that simply wanted a warm lap to sit in and someone to love. The only problem was... she wanted NOTHING to do with Toby. And to my surprise he was very interested in her. So here was our problem. We couldn't take on another puppy if she wouldn't be happy with our first one. So I went back and forth for days as to what to do and in the end the puppies made their decision. On Sunday evening they started to play and from that point on I knew it would work out. I called Matt and told him that Mattie officially had a home.
Mattie Mama loves to play. While we weren't sure what her home life was or even if she had had one previously it was like everything was new to her.... toys, long walks, play time, puppy beds, and so forth. I loved seeing her get so excited over the smallest thing...But then we got the news: On Monday morning the day after we dropped her off at the vet to make sure she was healthy and to sign the papers, we found out she was sick. She had heart worms! There was no way to tell how long she had had them. And if you aren't aware heart worms are horrible for doggies and eventually kill if not treated. We had wondered why she was always so tuckered out and why she was such a heavy breather. We just didn't know that the worms had already affected her heart and lungs.
When I spoke to Julie, Matt's wife, about the situation I think she thought that we wouldn't want her now that we knew she was sick. It was the exact opposite. I just wanted to know how we could help her and when we could take her home. She was our little girl and we couldn't imagine leaving her at this point.
Treatment began! The only problem is treatment is really hard for animals and some don't make it. They have to stay very still, void of excitement or exercise. We knew this wouldn't exactly work at our home. Our beagle is very active and is still in constant play mode. It was then that the amazing owners at Petropolitan said they would keep her FOR FREE! They said that they had fallen in love with her and wanted to make sure that she was happy and healthy. So for over a month I picked her up almost every night and dropped her back off in the morning. Without those people I don't know how we would have done it. She's alive because of all of them:)Well long story short... our Mattie got well and she is happier than ever! Here are some pictures of her first year with us...

Mattie's new bed! (She rarely ever sleeps in it b/c she'd rather sleep with mommy and daddy:)

Play time with big younger brother Toby:)

Mattie's first Christmas: All dressed up!

Park Time with Mama!

Giving Daddy Hugs!

Zellner Family: Mattie Christmas #2
We are so excited for this first year and can't wait for so many more to come! So if she's 7 or 2: We'll compromise and say Happy 3rd Birthday:) hehe!

Love,
Alicia

No comments:
Post a Comment