Today we began a new
training regime for the puppies. Living in a house that is connected on all three sides with other animal owners has become a bit of a struggle. Do not get me wrong. I love our house and our neighborhood. There is NOTHING that would change my mind; however, dealing with four dogs that inhabit the house directly behind us is challenging and loud to say the least. I cannot fully complain as we have a beagle that sounds off to many types of noises; however, having all four dogs outside that bark the moment I open the back door has not been the best situation. Toby then runs to the fence and sounds like a siren. It is pretty hard to get him to stop. So while this may sound a bit weird, we are planning on trainning him with a
bell. Today I've randomly rung the bell, whether it was when they went outside to potty or when we were in the house. After I ring the bell, I make sure the dogs come inside or come to me and sit. I do not say a word. It has worked exremely well; however, the neighbor's dogs have been inside this afternoon. I guess the true test will be when they are outside and the bell is rung to see what course of action our dogs will take. So we shall see how this all works out.
For any dog owners... does this sound crazy? Have any of you had this issue? How did you solve it? Any thoughts/comments? More will be updated as it comes:) Wish us luck:)
We trained Leo to go outside to the bathroom with a bell, but we have never tried it to keep him from barking. I think we need to start something. Anytime the door bell rings he goes crazy, that won't be cool once Landry comes.
ReplyDeleteAgreed! The past few days have been pretty good. We are dog sitting so having 3 animals in back is different, but they are doing great. Last night... not exactly a success with the bell. We just kept ringing it but had to hold the treat in front of him. It was pretty quick so not too bad. But it's actually working well to get him to come inside. I'll let you know how it goes!
ReplyDelete